New RoHS regulation in Saudi Arabia postponed
The regulation was originally scheduled to take effect on May 1, 2022, but was postponed and will now be implemented gradually starting July 4, 2022
The Technical regulation was published by the Saudi Arabia Standards Organization (SASO) on July 9, 2021 (we reported) and will affect electrical and electronic products with respect to the restriction of several hazardous substances.
After considering requests from the private sector and international organizations, the authority’s board of directors has decided to change the planned dates for the RoHS regulation to take effect in Saudi Arabia. The updated schedule now calls for implementation of the regulation in seven stages, which are:
- Small Electrical Home Appliances – 04.07.2022
- Large Electrical Home Appliances – 02.10.2022
- Information and communication technology equipment – 31.12.2022
- Lighting equipment – 31.03.2023
- Electrical and electronic tools and equipment – 29.06.2023
- Games, entertainment devices, and sports equipment – 27.09.2023
- Monitoring and control tools – 26.12.2023
Affected products are listed in detail in the Technical Regulation which can be accessed online here.