EU | Chemicals
EU conducts public consultation on revision of REACH
On January 20, 2022 the EU launched a public consultation on the revision of the Regulation on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH).
The revision will aim to align the EU chemical rules with its ambition regarding the safe and sustainable use of chemicals. The goal is a high level of protection of health and the environment, while preserving the internal market. The planned REACH revision is one of the actions announced in the EUs Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability, which is part of the European Green Deal.
The consultation will run until mid-April 2022 and is thus far only available in English. The translation in all the other languages of the EU is planned to be ready by mid-February.
The European Commission invites citizens and interested parties to express views on the following elements of the regulation:
- revision of the registration requirements, including increasing information requirements and establishing the obligation to register polymers (the building blocks of plastics);
- introduction of mixtures assessment factors;
- simplification of communication in the supply chains;
- revision of the provisions for dossier and substance evaluation;
- reform of the authorisation and restriction processes, including the extension of generic approaches to risk management and the introduction of the essential use concept; and
- the revision of the provisions for control and enforcement.
The Public Consultation can be accessed HERE.
For further information please contact our EFS Product Compliance Team.